Monday, September 2, 2013

Day of Blessings, Monday 22 July Malawi 2013

Thank you God, for today! This morning alone with Catherine (my host mom) Joyce (the 17yr. old family nanny) and Kaleesha (the 15 month old granddaughter) has been splendid. Breakfast was yummy with porridge and eggs. Then after breakfast I connected with Catherine while we listened to her albums.

Catherine is a retired Primary school teacher. Now she enjoys spending her time singing Gospel songs in both Chichewa and English. She has two albums and she is working on her third now. She even has songs on the radio in Malawi. No big deal right? Are you kidding me?!

We talked about her lyrics, her ways of writing and the recording process. Then I danced and played with Kaleesha and that was when I met Joyce. We talked about our families and she asked me if I use chemicals in my hair. Joyce does not go to school because it is too expensive. :(

Later that day I got a tour of Kalibu Academy. I took a class last semester at Westminster called Infectious Diseases. We learned all about infectious diseases, obviously, and we sent our very simple science lab findings and supplies to a school in Malawi. Kalibu! So I actually got to tour the school!

Then, I got a tour of the Kapuka's 50 acre farm which just so happened to be right next to Kalibu Academy. Crazy!

Finally I had a dinner out with Mada and Grace. I had a delicious veggie calzone and Mada and Grace got a SIM card for me and we all called my parents which was totally unexpected and just wonderful.

English signs:

"Chicken parts, gizzards, and jiggies."

"... and take away." -- later I find out that this is the Malawian equivalent of Take-out-food

It's still only Monday right? Today has flown by now that I look back on it. I think that I have finally broken out of my shell and am beginning to understand the ways of my host family. Today and every interaction was truly sent from God.

Walking tour of the Kapuka's farm!



No comments:

Post a Comment